2018 Underexposed Film Festival yc Call for Filmmakers
ROCK HILL, SC – Since its inception in 2012, the Underexposed Film Festival yc (UFFyc) has showcased the best in independent filmmaking from across the world, screening 313 films from 6 continents over the past 6 seasons. Never wavering in its mission, the UFFyc continues to focus on strength in storytelling, screening films that feature characters who come to life, breaking down the fourth wall, and enveloping the audience in each story. The Festival seeks diversity in storytelling and provides an opportunity for both emerging and seasoned filmmakers to screen in the same forum while encouraging dialogue between the two. Independent filmmakers around the world are invited to submit professionally presented short films, with a runtime of 45 minutes or less to participate in this juried competition in one of the following categories:
• Narrative | Fictional filmmaking that includes comedy, drama, action, thriller, adventure, fantasy, mystery, sci-fi, western, horror, film-noir, romance, sports, family-friendly, and more.
• Animation | Animated filmmaking - including but not limited to traditional, hand drawn animation, flip book animation, stop motion animation, computer animation, mechanical animation, puppetry, mixed media, and special effects animation.
• Experimental | Experimental films may be avant-garde, non-linear, and non-narrative. They may include the utilization of abstracting techniques, asynchronous sound, and are not limited by the constraints of traditional filmmaking. But, don’t let us define it for you…
• Documentary | Non-fictional filmmaking that includes cultural, topical and historical subjects.
Awards totaling $2,250 will be presented at the Festival. Awards given to the best of show, as well as the best of each category, with special awards given to the following:
• Cinema Carolina | Best independent film made in North or South Carolina, regardless of category, content, or subject. 75% of the principal photography must take place in North or South Carolina to be eligible for this award. Only one award will be given.
• Woman to Watch | Best Female Director Award. All female directed films in each category are eligible for this award. Only one award will be given.
• Best Student Film (High School) | Student films are eligible when created by a student filmmaker enrolled in a high school program, grades 9 – 12, while in production. All student films from each category are eligible for this award. Only one award will be given.
• Best Student Film (Collegiate) | Student films are eligible when created by a student filmmaker enrolled in a collegiate program while in production. All student films from each category are eligible for this award. Only one award will be given.
• Terry Roueche Audience Choice | All films submitted for competition are eligible for the Terry Roueche Audience Choice. The audience at each of the blocks that feature juried films is invited to vote for their favorite juried film. Director’s Choice films are not eligible for this award. Only one award will be given.
Entry deadlines and entry fees for the 2018 Underexposed Film Festival yc are as follows:
Earlybird: Sunday, October 8, 2017
Standard | $20
Student | $15
Regular: Sunday, November 12, 2017
Standard | $30
Student | $25
Late: Sunday, December 17, 2017
Standard | $35
Student | $30
Last Chance: Sunday, January 28, 2018
Standard | $45
Student | $40
For festival guidelines and entry information, visit the Underexposed Film Festival yc's site at Film Freeway at https://filmfreeway.com/festival/UnderexposedFilmFestivalyc. The films selected for screening will be screened at the Underexposed Film Festival yc, to be held in Rock Hill, SC, May 9 - 12, 2018. Visit underexposedfilmfestivalyc.org for more information on all UFFyc events and screenings.