The east wing of what is now Withers/W.T.S. Building was occupied originally by Presbyterian High School, founded in 1891. The university purchased it in 1910 and established the Winthrop Training School, a model K-12 school which utilized Winthrop student teachers. Inspired by English Tudor-Eclectic architecture, the building was constructed largely with funding from J.P. Morgan and from contributions of Andrew Carnegie, the Peabody Fund, the state legislature, and private individuals. It was completed in 1912 at a cost of $125,000. It is home to the Richard W. Riley College of Education. An old gym connected to the building was renovated in 1996 and became the Student Activity
Center, a multi-purpose facility for use by the Winthrop community and general public.